- Full time
The role will involve maintaining the current architecture – from cloud infrastructure through to web applications, including development environments – and contribute to the culture of continuous improvement.
You will be an active member of the Agile delivery teams, creating CI environments, problem-solving and debugging with the developers, ensuring the Agile teams self-serve for environments and releases.
You will have practical knowledge of contemporary security considerations, across both the stack and the project lifecycle, including system hardening and OWASP best practices.
Take responsibility for confidence in security and that our tech stack is always being evolved to keep up with technology updates. As well as ensuring that if something goes wrong, we know before our clients (or their customers) do.
A successful DevOps Engineer at Somo will ensure that all of our systems have well defined and monitored KPIs and that breaking a KPI is the exception not the norm.
You will be counted as one of the team by the Agile teams and work to ensure that fewer and fewer tasks are being done manually.
What will you be working on when you get here
Your responsibilities will include:
- Carrying out 2nd line support tasks, responding to alarms and SLA failures generated by the system monitoring tools.
- Proactively monitor systems and react to events as and when they occur, and ensure our systems are always there for all of our clients.
- Understand performance optimisations and track related metrics.
- Collaborate across the teams, and foster a DevOps culture across Engineering.
- Represent DevOps at all agile ceremonies.
- Build great tools that are genuinely useful for everyone.
- Contribute to the technology selection process and make sure we use the right technology at the right time, balancing cost, benefit and risk in decision making.
- Review solutions and ensure they have been designed to scale, they are secure, and make best use of the live environments.
- Design and execute deployment strategies, ensuring they are understood and actioned by the wider project team also.
- Understand and facilitate testing, ensuring robust environments and high availability at all times.
- Automate everything!
Essential Skills and Experience:
- You need to be an accomplished Developer or Operations engineer. Ideally you’ll be great at one and good at the other.
- You may not have worked in a DevOps team before, but you understand what it is and really want to build an awesome DevOps culture.
- We need you to be able to work with anyone at any level within Somo’s Engineering team, getting your point across whatever the situation is.
- Have a good understanding of the technology we use:
- Linux (Red Hat, Ubuntu) + macOS
- If you have experience in one or more of the following, that’s great too, but not essential:
- NoSQL data solutions
- Blue Ocean for Jenkins
- Experience in running and maintaining a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery environment.
- Understand what Agile is, and how its ethos can be used in effective SDLCs.
- Previous experience of writing code, and a good understanding of process and the thinking that’s required to be good at it.
- Shows care and attention when they are carrying tasks out. These are live client/customer systems, and they need to be treated with care and respect.
- Some experience in selecting technology for an organisation.
About us at Somo
Somo creates digital products and services customers and employees love.
We make sense of the complex, fragmented, fast-paced digital world to increase sales, raise brand awareness and make businesses more productive. We provide strategy and innovation, creative and development, data analysis and technology solutions.
What makes us tick
Delivering innovative and exceptional products and solutions, built using quality driven standards and the latest technologies, used in the right way. We’re proud of the products that we build, with an unswerving commitment to designing and building solutions that deliver real value for our customers.
Somo does not accept unsolicited recruitment agency CVs. Somo is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.